For the 3rd year running SI have once again released a buggy, unfinished, game. The Match Engine has a ton of bugs that make watching matches excruciating as players do all sorts of mindboggling things even pre-schoolers would know not to do!
Goalies regularily run out of the box with the ball in their hands, players tackle their own teamates at kickoff, wingers are more interested in playing the ball off of the opponent to get corners or throwins than crossing... on and on.
It's ridiculous, really, that game developers are increasingly given passes by critics, and the consumer, for releasing beta code as finished product.
Wait at least 5-6 months before purchasing.
*****UPDATE for FEB.1rst*****
OK. So, SI have put out roughly 6 (?) patches now and managed to fix some of my initial complaints. Goalies don't run out of the box with the ball anymore, and, players aren't tackling eachother at kick off. Hell, even the wingers have stopped being psychotically determined to get a throw in off of the opposition...
Question is: is it worth recommending yet? **** NO!
Not only have some issues just not been fixed... Now there are new issues...
..in the Match Engine:
- GKs now make Darwin Award winning errors at least once every 2 matches
- CBs often run off to close down the opponents midfield, running past his own CMs, leaving the opposition striker unguarded
- CBs often watch the play as if they're spectators in the stands
- World Class STs still can't score one on ones, empty nets, CCCs... but any low stat FWD can
- Wingers can barely make it to the byline, they rarely cross, they've essentially been rendered useless
- Excessive corners
- Excessive goals coming from corners
- Human controlled teams are lucky to beat poorly rated AI teams 90% of the time
- The shot to goal ratio favors the AI by 2 to 3 times
- Human controlled teams have difficulties making 5 yard passes
- Tactics/Shouts don't seem to have much of an effect on games
- Players often stop with the ball and "shuffle" slowly until tackled
..in the rest of the game:
- The transfer system has been broken. AI Teams only make unnegotiable, low ball, transfer offers
- There are bugs spread all through out the UI... there for you to find. (make sure to upload that PKM ;)
- Successfully negotiated inbound transfers will ocassionally cease mysteriously for no reason
- Glitches during matches that refuse to allow the game to be continued
- Various Coaches will disappear from the data base from time to time
..with Sports Interactive and their online "champions":
- A visit to their website, or, FM2014 Steam Forums, will see Mods abusing their position to silence negative, yet still entirely constructive, criticism
- On the official website, SI's "unofficial mods" and their "online champions" (trolls) will sit in the Feedback Thread abusing and demeaning people who provide evidence for their dissatisfaction with the state of the game. Speak to anyone the in the same way the Mods and aforementioned trolls do... and you'll get banned. The rules don't apply to them... but they certainly do to you
- Countless obvious ME errors are reduced to "it's your tactics"...
Is there anything positive about the game? Yes. It has a nice shiny new UI.... and the Rosters are current. That's about it.
Ultimately, for me, the defining moment of FM 2014 came when my lone Striker ran onto the end of a perfectly weighted through ball (so rare), was one on one with the opponents GK, stopped, turned around... and lobbed a 50 yard back pass to one of my CBs!? My unchallenged CB then watched the ball bounce 5 yards in front of him, continued watching as it went over his head... and then both my 2 CBs remained still while watching the opposition ST run in and score an easy goal. A goal where my GK fell on his side before the shot was even taken... ROFLMAO!
Don't buy this game. Don't even bother waiting for it to be fixed via patches.
Don't buy this game for yourself... and don't buy this game for all those who already have.
It's time to vote with your wallets.
If we're ever going to have a quality FM game come out in the future.... it will most likely only occur if Sports Interactive are forced to rethink their business model... and their development schedule.