This is by far the worst game of the series, and I've been playing CM / FM since 1993.
Some features have been added to appeal a younger and less simulation oriented public (babysitting players, mainly).
The match engine is devoid of any contact with reality, if you watch a game in its entirety you will see amazing things:
- ninja goalkeepers saving everything thrown at them
- tens of corners hit directly out of the field
- fullbacks running with the ball directly facing the closest oppenent and inevitably losing possession
The graphics are not just grossly outdated, but do not represent what is supposed to happen
- balls that pass through goalies
- balls that get into the net and corners are given
- midfileders, unmarked, kicking the ball right out of the field
There are also some major bugs that have never been addressed:
- after the latest patch there's a 99% chance to score a penalty, no matter how bad the "penalty" ability of the penalty taker (to the point that it is common to see penalty shooutouts ending with ridiculous scores, like 40-41)
- 30 or 40 corners conceded per game
- trying to sell a player is a chore, and the price tag absolutely random
Overall it's a simulation where you feel you have absolutely no control on what is happening.
The funniest bit is that most of these issues have been posted on the SI forums, just to be deleted by the staff who is pretty much censoring anything that proves them.
this game is not worth a penny, get the 2012 or 2013 version, not the best ones, but still playable.
For a true football simulation fan Football Manager 2014 is going to be a huge disappointment.