Dragon's Lair is an arcade classic and I was a huge fan as a kid. It was Dungeons and Dragons in the form of a video game cartoon. In the era of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, it was amazing to my young eyes. I inserted countless quarters despite only surviving a minute in each game.
Nostalgia and a Steam sale compelled me to purchase the game and relive my childhood. I enjoyed it for a bit. The game play is simple and sometimes frustrating, but that is how the classic game is played.
Unfortunately, I don't consider this edition the definitive version of Dragon's Lair. I say this for several reasons:
- Scenes do not seem remastered, unless they mean...
- Animation is zoomed & cropped for widescreen (my biggest criticism).
- It may run in 720p, but the picture quality looks like an old VHS tape.
- No native controller support or custom key bindings.
- Imprecise button response for a game that requires precise input.
- Simplistic and bland user interface. Limited Options.
Never-the-less, Dragon's Lair has a special place in my gamer heart and I am not unhappy to have it in Steam. I just wish it was a better version.