This game is solid for what it is. It is well produced and well made, and it can lead to some very fun moments where you feel like a badass on the court. But as you keep playing, you'll eventually start to get frustrated and even angry at times. This is because of it's design even though it was well executed, like performing every step perfectly in a bad plan. I have 100 hours in this game so you can take this however you want.
So what's bad about the design? Everything feels sluggish. In the attempt to simulate real life, they gave every action you can make an unavoidable movement animation. A lot of times you just want your character to jump and block a shot, but instead he takes a second to recover from taking one step to the right and THEN jump after which the ball has already fell through your basket. This happens for everything from stealing to juking. The crucial split second window you need to achieve is sometimes unattainable just because your character takes way too long to react to your button presses.
Every action is also probability based. I understand if the shot risky, then it should give you a probability chance of getting the points or not, but it also extends to simple dribbling without pressure. Losing a ton of grade rating (the game's mechanism for telling you how well you are doing) because of a series bad random number generations is just so rage inducing, especially when it's something you expect to succeed.
I guess these are my two biggest gripes about the game but there are a lot more I won't bother to go into detail for:
- team grading punishes you hard for any mistake
- punishes for bad call for passes when you just want to press A to skip the cutscene (A is call for a pass)
- your character is sometimes ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (when you attempt to steal he swipes in the OPPOSITE direction of the ball)
- some movement animations take a couple seconds which is way too long
- your character sometimes trips over for NO reason (total probability based ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥)
- simulated games have 20min quarter while played games have 5min quarters. This inconsistency is bad because when it comes to awards which is determined by stats, you have players on other teams average 28 points, when it's pretty much impossible to score anywhere near that many points in your 5min quarter games
- the indicator that tells you who to guard changes a lot, and the team grading system will still punish you even when the indicator randomly changes last second to a player who just scored, saying "Allowed man to score".
There are plenty more where that came from but I don't want to make it too long. I'll say again that the game IS well-produced, but there is just too much ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ that happens (every single game). This game commits one of the biggest sins of video gaming, do not piss off your players. And trust me, once you get more experienced and understand more about how this game works, you'll start rage quitting every second game.