November 25th, 2013
It’s been some time since we’ve published an update, and we wanted to check in to let everyone know about some of the exciting features coming next for Patterns. The game has come a long way over the past year, and as we near the end of 2013, we’ve been thinking critically about the future of Patterns to help focus our development efforts. You’ll be hearing more from us as we make progress on specific projects and features, but first, we wanted to share our vision for Patterns’ future with you.
Imagine Patterns as a platform not just for building worlds with shapes, but also for creating interactive experiences you can share with others. We’re going to put more creative power into your hands by allowing you to change the very things that make up Patterns itself! Lua scripting, substance editing tools, and direct access to tuning game systems are just some of the options that will be available. We’ll begin to roll out these new features over the next few weeks, and will keep you posted with our progress.
The first release will be a powerful tool that will allow everyone to create substance packs and custom tune substances’ properties. If you want to make all the substances hurt the player or change the actual look of the substances themselves, you can! Getting tired of the current set of colors within our world? No problem - you’ll be able to change how every single substance looks, acts, and reacts.
Another big feature we’re planning to roll out is a character creator. We appreciate the fondness that has grown around the current character, but a personal touch that only you can deliver is needed. Patterns is your universe to shape, and you should be able to create your very own personalized character to inhabit it!
We also plan to provide a robust Lua scripting system for Patterns. You’ll get access to script APIs that control game variables such as lighting values and the pull of gravity. Even more functionality will come from the ability to author moving platforms and control behavior in support of a variety of gameplay types.
We're eager to get these new tools into your hands and can't wait to see the things you'll create with them! These new features will give you even more creative power in Patterns. It's important for us to get these powerful new features right, and we appreciate your patience as we develop and roll them out. We'll keep you all posted as we make progress on these and other initiatives, so you can look forward to hearing from us more.
Thank you for supporting Patterns. We're really excited about the future of the game, and we hope that you all are too!
August 22nd, 2013
Hello Patterns Fans!
It’s been awhile since our last update, but we’ve been busy fixing bugs and adding new features to Patterns.
One of the new feature that we think you’ll really enjoy is what we’ve called “Escher Gravity.” Gravity will now no longer just pull towards the center of the planet. Now it’s based off what is below you - making a digital version of an Escher-esque painting a possibility for everyone!
In addition to the new Escher Gravity, there are two new block features: Runestone signs and Lanterns! Lanterns can be made by using 4 silver tetrahedrons and one moonstone octahedron. Once built, you can turn lanterns off and on by hitting the moonstone with your beam. Detailed instructions can be found on our official wiki.
Using square Runestone top tiles (the blocks that are bound to 1 on your keyboard by default), you can now leave signs for other players. Once placed, double click on the block to begin writing your message. You can scale text size by adding more blocks next to each other and experimenting!
We continue to work on fixing bugs and adding new features to Patterns, and appreciate all of your feedback and support. Stay tuned for more updates!
The Patterns Team
Release Notes for Update .04a version 67263 August 22, 2013
Use gravity as a tool and check out the new possibilities! Can you build an Escher Staircase?
- Patterns gravity is now called "Escher gravity".
- Gravity no longer pulls to the center of the planet and instead is based on what’s below the player.
- When digging underground, down is defined by the direction one enters underground.
Please check out our wiki
for detailed instructions.
- Patterns now uses fully dynamic lighting with light emanating from the character, lava and moonstone substances.
- The Lantern is a new formation which can be used to shed light on darker areas. To build it place 3 silver tetrahedrons, 1 moonstone octahedron in the center, and another silver tetrahedron on top.
- Turn Lanterns on and off by hitting the moonstone shape with your beam.
Write on Runestone top tiles to leave messages for other players in their worlds!
- To use, simply place a Runestone top tile on any square surface and double-click, then type, and hit enter.
- The font will shrink to fit on the cube so play around with multiple faces to write in larger Font Sizes.
- Improved camera for digging and mining.
- Confined spaces will no longer be as troublesome.
- Transparency on the player avatar will make maneuvering through the world easier - no more blocked view!
- We’ve started using a Peer to Peer implementation to allow easier connectivity to games.
- Password support for private game hosting.
- There’s a new game lobby for hosted multiplayer games in the main menu. This will allow players to find games easily.
- A variety of multiplayer bug fixes are in this patch due to the new Peer to Peer implementation.
- Main menu UI fixes and flow improvements are included.
- Players list is no longer available in single player games.
- Previously saved planets are not set up for Escher gravity.
- The Lanterns are unbreakable until they are turned into free patterns.
- There’s still an issue with memory consumption so save often and exit the game to free up memory especially when in larger worlds.
- The new lighting effects on substances can cause some framerate issues if there are a lot on screen.
- There is a known issue that causes instability in Patterns after playing for a while. Please restart Patterns between levels for best results.