The idea is amazing, but the end result is very average.
If the designers comitted truly to the voice command idea, it could have been a very sweet game. Instead you are left struggling with both keyboard, mouse, and voice. Why use voice when you can just click? It seems to me for this idea to work, you have to either be able to do everything by voice or there would be no point.
1) You can't take cover using voice, you have to click
2) You can't control the camera using voice, not even with something as simple as "camera left left left", so you have to keep your hand on the mouse if only to rotate the view
3) To move something or attack something, you have to know the number of the unit. What if you have 4 helicopters on the field and you want to attack a tank with the closest one? you can't, because you can't see the number of units on the map. So you have to keep guessing or switching between units looking for the right one. A better solution would be to have a bigger map, with numbers clearly shown above the unit icons.
4) In time sensitive situations where you have to react quick, it is a real mess to attack the enemies because once again, it can be difficult to know the number of the unit you want to attack. Enemy tanks flanking on the left? Your helicopters are ready, but even if the tanks are on your screen often their number won't be displayed (it seems to depend on distance or visibility) so you can't efficiently react, and since you can't even send your units to a location by voice you'r back to right clicking.
5) Mission command actually talks to you as you play, and if you are issuing commands at the same time you won't hear what is being said.
So to make it short, even if the available voice commands work well, voice recognition is reliable, the game relies too much on keyboard / mouse for the "voice commanding" thing to really fly. But i can see how if they make aonther game in the series and address all these issues, this concept of "hands free strategy" could be really fun.
Postat: 22 februarie 2014