* Great, campy, 70's characters, story and visuals
* Lots to do and collect
* Storymode: good Lego fun around 8 hours
* Replay value with Freeplay clocking in around 16 hours
* Messy hub map interface is confusing for a long time
* Flying (esp with co-op keyboard) is almost impossible to control
* Crashes every few hours
* Small roster of characters with samey powers
* Batarangs have very limited range and weapons fire slowly
* Short 8 hour campaign is all over too soon
* Freeroam has only 5 kinds of task repeated dozens of times
* Co-op mared by bad design (paralysed on: change character, pick vehicle, open map, fight character, start mission, gold brick) really slow save every time you complete a task while baddies beat you up.
Background: Just finished Lego LOTR & Marvel. Like Batman comic books. Indifferent to the 80's-90's movies. Disliked Lego Batman 1.
Impressions: TT's continual changing of the hub world interface really bugs me. From game to game I have no idea how to navigate and spend ages trying to find a story mission.
After playing Lego LOTR and Marvel this feels like a huge let down. Which is unfair since this is a smaller and older game but it makes you appreciate how much better the games got after this.
Recommended for: TT Lego fans and those who like Batman really.
Conclusion: 6/10. You can bump this score up 1 if your not a Gloomy Gus like me.
**SPOILERS AND HINTS**
I wrote this to help newbies understand how to play the game better and not flail around like I did. Follow these tips in the order shown and you'll get more out and less frustration.
The spoilers are very mild (are they even spoilers?) but I'm aware not everyone wants hand holding and they are around mechanics of play, there's nothing about the story or exactly how anything is done.
How to Play:
1. Complete story mode first
* You need to unlock characters in the final mission, don't even start on freeroam or freeplay till you complete
2. Find Characters with unique talents
* In freeroam (use batcomputer, pick a white dot and select to be teleported into town) fly around the sky and head for red skylight beams and land
* Use the computer terminal to find a baddie, note where they are standing as they taunt you (ground, top of building, etc)
* Use the ! MARKER tool to drop a marker on the baddies face in the MAP. Head for the red ! in your batcompass, locate the bad guy and walk up to them
* Most baddies just take a few punches while other require you to do some cleanup or damage to the local environment before take down
* Only buy the ones you want as money can be short at first: Lex, Ivy, Aquaman, Joker & Riddler are the only ones you really need
3. Red Helper Bricks
* To help even more get some red bricks for the now familiar helpers (esp. indicate gold bricks, attract studs, indicate mini-kit parts, stud multipliers)
* Use the batcomputer or the terminals around town (blue skylights easily found with a flying character) and press SCAN on the MAP to find Red dots
* As before use the marker system to mark the red dot, go to it and complete a task to reveal the brick for purchase
4. Freeplay re-runs of the story missions
Now you can better complete freeplay re-runs of the story missions with all the tools you need.
* Use the Batcomputer and select the numbered disks to play the story missions
* Ideally collect all the minikits, rescue the guy in peril and get 100% on the stud collector for extra gold bricks
5. Get Cash for freeroam vehicles, characters and red bricks
* To get cash I found the stud multipliers, turned on, switch to Green Lantern, build and smash the green piles around the streets in the middle map for purple and blue studs
6. How to use the Map system.
While Scanning you also reveal dots that lead you to the following...
* Citizens in Peril: Save the poor soles from their situation for a gold bricks
* Collapsed arches: rebuild, if you have enough gold bricks, to reveal a bonus character to buy
* Beat up baddies: beat enough and you can add them to your roster
* Stud trails: leading to gold bricks which require certain outfits and characters
* Gold items: Melt with heat vision to reveal gold bricks
* Riddler/Joker boxes: Only they can open these and usually have a red brick in them
* Flash Builds: Only Flash can build these structures
* Vehicles: Shown on the map and take serious cash to buy
* Environmental tasks: shooting stuff, remote-control, riding and pulling switches
* Water: Aquaman can swim underwater
* Black bricks: Only Lex's ray can shatter them
* Ivy flowers: Able to tunnel through the ground