Fall of Cybertron takes the successful formula from the War For Cyberton prequel and improves it in almost every way possible. The excellent campaign with highly enjoyable gameplay and impressive visuals provide you dozens of hours of fun, even if you are not a big fan of the Transformers franchise in general. Highly recommended to anyone who likes action-filled TPS games and for Transformers fans it’s a MUST-HAVE!
Following the events of the previous game Fall of Cybertron takes place during the last six days on Cybertron. With the Autobot city, Iacon, fallen and the planet core corrupted, the Autobots are forced to leave their homeplanet, while the Decepticons are preparing their last assault to annihilate last of the survivors.
During the campaign you will play as iconic robots from both Autobot and Decepticon factions. For the sake of the story, the character selection and co-op have been discarded completely this time and you will assigned to take control of a fix character during each stage, since each chapter tells the events from a different perspective. Don’t worry though that your experience will be limited because of that, the fact is there’s enough variety of the playable characters and the way each chapters are so well built up, you can quickly forgive this change as you play through the campaign.
The core experience is still the non-stop action with satisfying gunplay and vehicle sections, however this time around you will get to take control of two interesting Transformers as well, each bringing their unique gameplay mechanics. The first one being Bruticus, the Decepticon combiner and the second one is Grimlock. As the giant Bruticus, you will be able to mow down hordes of attacking Autobots easily, while playing as Grimlock the game takes the hack-n-slash approach with an interesting rage-meter mechanics to trigger the T-rex transformation to wreck havok. Vehicle gameplay is still present, however the for some reason the car driving sections of the game seem to be clunky and not so polished as they were in the previous game. Luckily there are not many of these segments. Aircraft controls work just fine though, when you play as Starscream and Vortex!
Graphically Fall of Cybertron looks impressive and this time there will be more variety in stages and more open combat areas. The soundtrack gives the game an excellent boost in the atmosphere, while the voice actors truely deliver as well .
Overall Fall of Cybertron is an excellent sequel and a worthy conclusion of the Cybertron saga.
Highly recommended for any fans of Transformers and anyone who loves TPS action games.
- Amazing story with very well paced, varied gameplay.
- Wide range of playable robots including ’rare’ ones such as Grimlock and Bruticus.
- Excellent graphics.
- Great soundtrack and top-notch voice acting.
- Car driving mechanics don’t work as well as they did in the prequel.
- Minor bugs preventing progression. They can be fixed easily by reloading checkpoints.
- Unchangeable key bindings.
- Lack of challenge. The game is pretty easy even on highest difficulty.
- Missions are significantly shorter compared to the stages of War for Cybertron.
- Eventhough the game is about a total war between the Transformers, you will mostly be going alone as AI companion appear very seldom in this game.
- Cutscene videos are in 480p.