Played this game for many hours. It is very fun, addictive, and enjoyable. But I discovered the further you get, the more Sanctum 2 has a distinct identity crisis. The cohesion of FPS and tower defense breaks down becoming dysfunctional.
This results in the biggest problem Sanctum 2 has: its difficulty curve. The game gets disproportionately more difficult the further you get. Eventually it gets to a point where it becomes impossible to beat levels solo. Eventually it even gets too hard to beat a level in co-op. A lot of this deals with the unreasonable restrictions Sanctum 2 places on players. Some of these are due to Sanctum 2 being designed with a heavy bias towards co-op play. Others are the foolish methods to control which genre the game is trying to be
- There are tons of towers available to unlock, but you're limited to using 4 at a time relying on co-op parters using their 4 tower slots to fill in your deficiencies.
- You're encouraged to corral enemies in an enormous maze BUT
- There's a low restriction on the number of turrets that can be placed.
- Not all turrets are created equally. Some are weak and meant to be replaced by a stronger tower as you unlock them. Unfortunately ranking up is unreasonably slow and requires grinding.
- Not all FPS weapons are created equally. Some characters feature a default weapon (the one you can't change) that is useless weak garbage.
- Certain enemies were designed to bypass turret defenses throwing favor towards FPS elements
- A few of these FPS specific enemies result in a very uneven increase in enemy strength.
- Certain enemies are just plain bawllshiat. Specifically bobblehead enemies that take zero damage from turrets, and can only be damaged and killed by shooting their extremely tiny and constantly moving weak point.
-Some of the later stages you will find yourself losing (typically near the end) because of a wave of these same stupid enemies that take the burden of defeat off your turrets and place it squarely on the player's FPS skills.
The sad thing is I actually like Sanctum 2. It is a good game! I would recommend it if it didn't get so hard for stupid reasons so early in its campaign. That just kills the enjoyment got out of it. If you wish to get Sanctum 2, thankfully it tends to go on sale frequently. The base price for the core game is extremely high and not worth it.