I enjoyed the original Cannon Fodder for the Amiga. I had hoped that this would help me reclaim the feel of that classic game, but instead it's like someone took the basic concept of the original and then put a "2003" era spin on it.
Things that bugged me about this game
- instead of having cool music, it's the most generic electric guitar riffs you could imagine
- the characters look like those "spittin image" puppets
- aforementioned puppets will run through a standard talking animation while the voiceover plays
- all the charm of the original is gone
- loading times straight out of the PS1 era (seriously? How? Why?)
- the bullet animation is really really pathetic.
Some things I liked about this game
- At the minimum it plays a little like the original game
- The Grenades seemed cool
There just isn't that much to love about this game, and a whole lot of little things to dislike (but not hate). Imagine if someone told you to take this song by Mozart and somehow update it so that "kids today" would like it. You could try to compose an original tune in his style, but instead you decide it's not worth the effort so you take Variations on "Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman"
in a midi file and play it through a cheap synth. Does it sound like Mozart? Well, yeah, but somehow it's just a cheezy version of twinkle twinkle little star instead.
That's how this game feels. Cheezy.