I've always been a huge RPG, fantasy, medieval fan. That being said, I've never heard of the novels nor the game before I bought it. I got it at a 90% discount. I was watching the images and reviews for some time and I saw that a friend of mine had the game. After asking him if the game was worth it, I bought the game. He only said that it was very good. Nothing more. So I wasn't expecting anything extraordinary. Damn, if only I knew. Seriously, this game (and it's sequel) are the only games in the world I regret buying at a discounted price. I would have GLADLY bought them at full price (and seriously, only 10$ for this masterpiece? Finally a very good game at low price!!)
- The storyline : Not only is it great, it's also very huge. The developpers really didn't just made a game as quickly as they could. The story is there, and you always want to know more.
- You don't need to read the books before playing : Because yes, this game is a sequel to a novel series. You won't spoil yourself so much of the story (except the final, but there's going to be so many more questions when you'll learn what happened)
- The bestiary : The creatures that lurks at night -- or not -- are very diversified. There's so much information you can get about them. If you stick to the story, maybe you'll encounter only half of them. And there's not only a lot of monsters, there's also a lot of fantasy humanoid creatures likes vampires, werewolves, elves, dwarves, etc.
- Over 30 hours of gameplay : If you stick only to the story, you'll get around 35 hours of gameplay. But if you try to get everything, you have for more than 80 hours.
- The gameplay itself : There's two gameplay mode : mouse and keyboard, and mouse. Even tho you'll probably prefer the first choice, the second one is also very good
- The soundtrack : After playing this game, all of those beautiful music will stick in your head. Every music fits very well with the action. They are very enchanting and immersive. Plus you have all the soundtrack when you buy the game! Yay, wonderful music when I'm not playing this game!
- You can collect sex cards : Yes, you can have sex with almost every girls in this game (including a princess... and a very sexy gingerhead witch <3)
- The realism : Even if it's a fantasy game, there's a great realism as for the way people sees you. It reflect a lot our world by differents aspects, like racism, fear of the unknown, genocides, what's good and what's evil. There's a lot of choices to make that will make you wonder what you'll do if it was real.
- The choices you make impact on the story : Every choices you make will have its consequences. There's always a way to rediscover the story by making differents choices from a game to another.
- Graphics for 2007/2008 are trully amazing
- You don't really get new armors and weapons until late in the game. Dependly on the difficulty level, you don't really need a new one anyway.
- It'll take some time to adapt to the sword-fighting gameplay
- Some ingredients for the alchemy are very difficult to find
Little tip : Try to get Raven's armor at the last chapter. Not only is it useful, but you'll be able to load your saved file when you'll start The Witcher 2, so the choices you'ld have made will have effects on this new game too, AND you'll start with a very good armor from the start!
I STRONGLY recommand this game to anyone who likes fantasy and/or RPGs. The characters are rich, lovable, the plot twists are seriously intense and sometimes, you won't even have a clue about a major spoil. Also, the difficulty levels trully makes a difference. I'm not the best gamer in the world, I usually can't finish my games because sometimes the ennemies become way too powerful/godlike, but I made it through this game in about 50 hours (trying to complete some quests on the side sometimes) and actually enjoy the game without raging against the monsters/ennemies all the time. Once you get how to beat them, you can make it.