...(aka Doukutsu Monogatari) was released on the 20th December of 2004 as a freeware game in japan, got translated by Aeon Genesis and got popular on the internet. Cave Story+ is the remake of it. It's a 8bit styled vertical platformer-shooter with nice graphics, a well done soundtrack and a great, creative story. You, a robot called Quote, awoke in a dark cave without any memories. So the only thing you can do for now is to go to the Mimiga Vilage and see whats happening there. You will find out that a evil doctor is planning to kidnap all of those rabit-like creatures and your new mission is to save those creatures and save the world.
- Well written story
- Solid and responsible controlls
- Nice creative gameplay elements inspired from the 8bit NES classics
- New Graphics and Soundtracks
- 5 Challenges added
- New dungeon "Wind Fortres" added
- Archivmentsystem added
- Broken archivementsystem: "Curse Broken", the archivement after getting the best ending won't unlock so it is not possible to get that game 100% + Archivements won't unlock on japanese.
- Broken Replay Function in challenges: Sometimes replays won't play correctly. It happend several times to me and i'm upset about that because i've beaten Wind Fortress within 2 minutes and Sanctuary within 6 minutes and guess what? I cant see what i've done there. That sucks.
- Game closes after finishing a challenge. Thats minor but annoying. The Wii version haven't done something like that.
- English Nicalis translation. The Aeon Genesis translation looks and sounds way better than that one by Nicalis. Fortunite, someone ported the AG translation to Cave Story+ in the Comunity guides but be aware that most of the archivements won't unlock with that translation.
Since there is a freeware version of this game here are a few things that aren't present in the freeware version:
- Easy: Player takes half damage.
(- Original: The name it self says that allready)
- Hard: Brutally challenging. You only have 3HP most of the game.
- Curly Mode (The same as the original story but you play as Curly Brace instead of Quote)
- 5 Challenges (3 of them with brutal timebased Rankings from C to S):
- New (awesome) Graphics
- New Soundtrack (some kind of softer 8bit soundtrack. Original sounds better in my opinion)
- Remastred Soundtrack (sounds like a techno mix. pretty awesome)
- New dungeon "Wind Fortres" (avaiable via challanges)
Conclusion: It is a great remake of the original game with some things added and a high replay value. The story is binding, the characters rememberble and the gameplay nearly flawless. I can highly recomend this game for those 8bit and retro fans. For those hwo are sceptical about the game: try freeware version first. But i wouldn't buy it for 15€ (USD whatever) because it is a little bit overpriced for these addons. i would buy it for 10€, also if this game is on sale.