I love cave story. I love the story, I love the art style, I love that you can save curly, I love that you can play as curly, I love the dogs, I love the weapons, I love the enemies, I love the challenge of hard mode, I love the endings, I love the characters, I love the level design, I LOVE IT ALL.
Why do I love it all? because it's well paced, the game feels as though its a 100% done project, probably because it is. All the kinks are out, the story isn't flawed nothing is broken about the game, and it gives me a good reminder of hard games, and platformers being fun in general. I'm not a huge fan of platformers right now because they all seem so short and incomplete. Cave Story, is NOT that.
So buy the game, play it yourself or if you don't have money, the old flash of the game is out there somewhere, go find it. you'll just have 8bit graphics. it's not a real downgrade.
As for Cave Story + though, and why you should get it:
Uhh... graphics... challenges... stuff..... sounds.... music?
It's just what it sounds like... cave story +, it's just a refreshed version of the older game, so yeah I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Not much else to say.... the game is worth it all though.
Standard Game Rating
- Story: 10/10 (Complete, involves a few places where the player can choose a better path than the standard story)
- Gameplay: 10/10 (You can re-bind the controls now, and use a controller if thats your thing... and the whole game has solid gameplay, and it's as balanced as a singleplayer RPG platformer gets. Ultimate weapons arent way too OP, and rockets aren't even a thing in hard mode. so get good.)
- Presentation: 10/10 (Just... look at it, like take a few seconds, scroll up to the pictures and video, and look. THE GAME LOOKS GREAT!)
- Soundtrack: 10/10 (The original soundtrack is still an option in the + version and the redone soundtrack is good also. Just... wow, it's on target the soundtrack is great, it's one of the few that I will listen to while playing other games.)
- Replayability: 10/10 (I enjoyed speedrunning the game, and playing it on hard. you can't get bored of this thing quic, I can promise that. Also the game is 100% modable, with the right tools. Currently however there is not much of a modding community, either that r I just think we're allowed to change the files when in fact we aren't... if not... sorry.)