Background: Picked up during the summer sale for pennies. Apparently it's an upgrade of a 2008 DS game with improved visuals and audio, part 2 was never released but you can complete the story on youtube via officially released cinematics.
* Great story and plotting that mix things up
* Characters and voice acting are fantastic
* Self-aware quips make the characters stand-out
* Fun mix of gameplay styles show depth right from the start
* Looks dated, the pixelated cut-scenes especially
* Awkward controls for interacting with characters but you get used to it
* Mismatched lipsync is distracting
* Combat is simplistic and weapons lack impact
* Half a game that stops just as things are moving
Impressions: Looks dated with low-rez cutscenes, awkward controls and mismatches mouth to voice work.. but in the first 10 minutes I was impressed by the story-telling, characters and gameplay. Reminds me of the first time i played Sam & Max.
Recommended for: Noire detective fans who don't mind some run n gun n puns.
7/10. Shines through its limitations to be memorable and a lot of fun.