Quick PRO/CON list for anyone who doesn't want to read too much:
- Top down driving with good camera and controls.
- Brings back memories of Death Race 2000 and Carmageddon
- Variety of vehicles and weapons to unlock.
- Graphics, for the kind of game, are clean and do the job despite being a bit dated by today's standards.
- You can win a race by placing first (duh) OR by taking out the competition - and they occasionally take each other out. Or sometimes you.
- "Meh" voice acting. Blame "Tex".
- Weapons and vehicles unlocked through picking up parts.
- Can't save money between races.
- Some races inherently unfair.
- Pick-ups during races come in sometimes hard to destroy boxes. This is due to a poor design of the main weapon that "autofires" when it sees fit.
- Randomness of pick-ups makes it easy to win some races, and frustrating to win others.
- Unless you have a lot of armour and/or a really fast vehicle you probably don't want to be in front of anyone at the start of a race. Only mines fire to the rear and you only get 3 - and they never replenish during a race.
An ok top down racer with an extremely limited number of tracks and a rather dull story. But the game's not about the story as much as the race and at least most of the actual racing was fairly fun.
By the end of the game you'll be sick of driving the same tracks over and over and over. I was also very tired of whatever Tex mumbles. Tex looks like an oversized George Lucas, by the way.
Graphics are good, clean, and the vehicles and scenery look pretty good. The cars are responsive, especially if you work on the handling stat, and there are a number of extra weapons you can eventually unlock, level up and use - but only one "special" at a time. Some are way, way better than others. The shotgun I found to be almost useless, for example, while the rocket at level 1 was far better than a level 9 shotgun. Unlock cars and weapons by picking up parts during races.
The "shadow man" shows up once in a while (via phone call) to offer you advangtages on a per-race basis for a cut of your profits.
The end race against The Stig .. er I mean The Adversary ... was annoying and completely luck based for me. I'd have lost again if it wasn't for lucky nitrous drops at the right times, and a lucky bump that sent The Adversary into the wall just before my last nitro kick to the finish line.
This game os a 6/10 as it is. MAYBE a 7/10 if you really like this genre - and I mean *REALLY* like, as I like it but not enough to be generous and give it more than 60%. Still, gotta recommend it as it's not terrible.
It could have been better with the simple addition of longer, better tracks to race on. I didn't find driving the tracks in reverse to be much good for variety, although they do feel different in reverse. I don't mean longer as in more laps like the 42 lap marathon race without weapons - I mean slightly larger tracks. Some of them are so compact that you're at the final lap (Note that the final lap is usually the 3d, sometimes you're in a one lap race so that's SUPER short) before you've played much more than 70 seconds. Yup. 70. Seconds. Some one lap races last 20 to 25 seconds or so. Yup, takes longer to spend your earnings.
With better design decisions this could have been a 10/10 for sure. I'd pay for a simlar game that has no instant repair or ammo pick-ups during the race. It could have stats that can be improved for the driver and vehicles that are upgraded with parts you purchase with cash from your winnings. You could unlock different parts by making contacts or spending cash. Make it roguelike with perma-death *IF* you actually die when the vehicle is disabled and it would be even better. Improved ranking system, multiple places to race, larger vehicle selection, ability to mount weapons facing EITHER DIRECTION... *sigh*. I'll shut up now, y'all know what I want.